Back to the list of news
July 7, 2021
Québec and Austria, Germany, and Switzerland: 50 Years of Forward-Looking Trade and Cooperation
Québec and these 3 countries maintain a strong relationship that encourages the sharing of best practices and the birth of new innovations.
Québec’s talent in the creative industries, strength in cutting-edge sectors and scientific breakthroughs and innovations in energy and technology are inducing top companies to set up operations here.
Over 250 subsidiaries have chosen Québec. Among them:
This large pool of companies has a huge impact on the Québec economy
- Opening of Québec’s economic office: 1971
- 140 German subsidiaries in Québec
- Québec’s top trading partner in Europe
- Québec’s third-largest trading relationship worldwide
- $6.5 billion in trade
- From 2018 to 2020, 8th-largest source of FDI, worth $366 million $
- Cooperation between industry clusters, such as Aéro Montréal and Hamburg Aviation or Medical Valley EMN and MEDTEQ+
- 11,000 jobs at Swiss subsidiaries operating in Québec
- High-Tech industries: pharmaceuticals, mining, energy, electronics and composite materials
- 100 businesses across the province
- From 2018 to 2020, 7th-largest source of FDI, worth $371 million
- Québec – Upper Austria cooperation agreement
- Andritz Hydro chose Québec for its Canadian head office and has an enviable business relationship with the government corporation Hydro-Québec
- BRP – Rotax develops and produces all recreational vehicle engines sold by the Québec company Bombardier Recreational Products
- Doppelmayr’s Canadian head office. Most Québec ski hills use Austrian ski lifts and gondolas
Investissement Québec plays an active role in Québec’s economic development. It supports business creation and growth with advisory services, investments and customized financial solutions. It also provides technological support to spur performance and innovation. Through Investissement Québec International, it assists Québec-based and international companies with their globalization projects and prospects for talent and foreign investment for Québec.