- Many free trade agreements giving access to 1.5+ billion consumers.
- Attractive market thanks to the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). Unlike other top destinations for EU investment in the Americas, only Canada has investment treaties in place with all 27 EU member states.
- Efficient transportation infrastructure with 20 strategic commercial ports, 4 international airports and 1 integrated railway network connecting Canada, US and Mexico.
- The St. Lawrence River, stretching over 1 200 km, links North America’s industrial heartland with Northern Europe and the Mediterranean.
1 World Trade Organization, “Regional Trade Agreements Database”, 2020; World Bank, “GDP and total population by country”, 2019; U.S. Census Bureau, Population in the United States, 2020; Global Affairs Canada, 2021; Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, 2021.
A driving force of the canadian economy2
- 8.5 million inhabitants, representing 23% of Canada’s population.
- With a GDP of nearly $470 billion and the lowest unemployment rate in Canada, Québec makes up 20% of the Canadian economy.
2 Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, 2021.
World leader in several cutting-edge sectors
- Including IT, life sciences and health technology, AI, cybersecurity and aerospace.
- Significant foreign investment and excellent business opportunities in IT, financial services, FinTech, electric and smart transportation, clean technology, innovative manufacturing, transportation and logistics, etc.
Pool of highly skilled workers3
- 500,000+ students at 18 universities and 140 colleges across Québec.
- Canadian R&D leader (in % of GDP), with $9.7+ billion in total spending.
3 Canadian Bureau for International Education, “Facts and Figures”, 2020; Canada Research Chairs, 2020.
- Lowest electricity rates in North America.
- Average operating cost advantage of 25% compared to other major regions in Canada and U.S.
- Competitive incentives and tailored government support.
- One of the lowest tax rates in North America, with 26.5 % (compared to 28% in California and 34% in New York).
4 According to Hydro-Québec’s estimate based on 3,060,000 kWh of usage, 5,000 kW of power and a 85% load factor; KPMG, «Tax Facts 2020-2021».
Sustainable and climate-neutral econmomy5
- Lowest greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per capita than all other Canadian provinces and US states.
- Electricity sourced from 99.8% renewable energy, principally hydropower.
- Leading-edge ecosystem and expertise based on several green energy sources, including hydroelectricity, wind, biomass and green hydrogen.
- One of the least polluting primary aluminium production in the world (7 times less polluting than aluminium production in China).
- Proactive green battery production governmental strategy, looking to fill the critical gaps in the value chain to produce a battery with a low carbon footprint.
About Investissement Québec International
Investissement Québec plays an active role in Québec’s economic development. It supports business creation and growth with advisory services, investments and customized financial solutions. It also provides technological support to spur performance and innovation. Through Investissement Québec International, it assists Québec-based and international companies with their globalization projects and prospects for talent and foreign investment for Québec.