Tax Credit to Support Print Media Companies
This tax credit aims to support Québec print media companies. It offers to those companies a tax credit of up to $26,250 a year for each eligible employee.
Details of Tax Assistance
This refundable tax credit is equal to 35% of the wages of eligible employees incurred after December 31, 2018.
Your corporation could be eligible if it has an establishment in Québec and it produces and publishes a print news media that is recognized as an eligible media.
A media that meets the following conditions is eligible:
- It is produced and published daily or periodically (at least 10 times a year) in print, Web or mobile format (an information-only application).
- It has been produced and published for at least 12 months prior to the filing of the initial application.
- It publishes original written content of general interest designed specifically for Quebec’s population and covering at least three of the following seven topics : politics, municipal, international, cultural, business and economy, local interest and miscellaneous.
- The newsroom is located in an establishment of the corporation located in Canada where an eligible media is produced and published and the individuals responsible for the original written informational content, including reports, portraits or interviews, news analysis, regular columns, investigative reports and editorials, are journalists.
- An eligible employee is an employee who has a full-time job and spends at least 75% of his or her working time on carrying out or directly supervising eligible activities, namely those involving the production of original written information to be published in an eligible media of the corporation or the operation of information technology activities related to the production or publication of such content.
Activities related to the production of original written information include:
- Research, data gathering, fact checking, photography, writing, editing, creation and design and any other content-preparation activity.
Activities related to the operation of information technologies include:
- Management or operation of computer systems, applications or technology infrastructure;
- Operation of a customer relations management service;
- Management or operation of a marketing information system designed to increase the eligible media’s visibility and promote it to an existing or potential clientele;
- Any other activity of a similar nature that could be called a management or operating activity for the purposes of the eligible media.
Activities involving the digital transformation of a print media that are covered by and described for the purpose of the Tax Credit to Support the Digital Transformation of Print Media Companies (CTNP) and administrative tasks are ineligible.
To qualify for the Tax Credit to Support Print Media Companies, your corporation must obtain an eligibility certificate every year from Investissement Québec for each eligible media and each eligible employee.
Fees are charged by Investissement Québec for the study of all eligibility certificate applications. For more information, contact an Investissement Québec advisor or see the rate schedule on our website.
How to Obtain the Tax Credit
Want to receive your refund right away?
If your company is eligible for this tax credit, you may want to apply for financing for refundable tax credits to put your cash to work sooner. For more details, please contact one of our financing experts at
1 844 474-6367.