Major multimedia players
Pioneers in animation and visual effects
Industry watchers the world over know that Québec is the birthplace of many internationally renowned companies specializing in visual effects and animation software.
- Softimage , Digital Dimension , Discreet Logic , Toon Boom , Kaydara (Autodesk ) and Miranda are just some of the innovative companies that top the list of world leaders in this field.
- Moment Factory turns everything it touches into gold! Its success, bravado and visual creations have led it to work with such greats as Céline Dion, Arcade Fire, Nine Inch Nails, Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake and many others. In 2014, for example, the company designed the multimedia installations for Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz Tour and Arcade Fire’s Reflektor Tour. In 2015, it also did the stage design for Imagine Dragons’ Smoke + Mirrors Tour.
- Montréal visual effects company Rodeo FX was a big part of the last season of smash fantasy series Game of Thrones. It was the Montréal studio that brought to life the city of Meereen in three dimensions. In addition to designing the buildings in the city where much of the action take place, Rodeo FX created a virtual army of thousands of soldiers. The studio also helped modify the physiques of certain characters and simulated environments using matte painting. For the second year in a row, Rodeo FX was rewarded with an Emmy Award in 2015 for its contribution to the outstanding visual effects of Game of Thrones.
Over 200 titles for Digital Dimension
Digital Dimension is a major Québec animation and visual effects studio. Founded in 1996, the six-time Emmy winner has over 200 titles to its credit in the film, television and interactive entertainment industry. Highlights include Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege, Mortal Kombat X, Shadow of Mordor, Into The Woods and Masterminds. The studio is now working on the American television series Quantico, which is being shot in Montréal.
Intelligent vibration technology
If D-BOX has its way, the movie experience will never be the same. The Québec company designs and manufactures cutting-edge high-tech motion systems for the entertainment industry. D-BOX recently created robots that fit under a seat or platform, where they generate motion perfectly synchronized with the action on the screen. The D-BOX system is now widely used in the U.S.
Multimedia and film: Perfect partners
Today’s special effects, video game and film industries are totally interconnected, fitting together perfectly like pieces of a puzzle. They inspire each other and feed off each other’s challenges, sparking a spectacular explosion of creativity!
The Québec film and television industry at a glance
Film productions shot in Québec generate over 30,000 direct jobs and total sales of $1.4 billion.
- More than 500 production and distribution companies are located here.
- In the last five years, 200 foreign productions have been shot in Montréal.
- Québec’s workforce is qualified, talented, creative and very productive.